Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Frozen Bread Dough Update



Today I popped the frozen dough out of the freezer and tried it two ways. #1 loaf sat on the counter defrosting and #2 loaf in the oven with the light on. I had visions of them defrosting and rising to 'loaf size' before baking.

After two hours I was bored and set them both in the oven and turned it on for the usual 46 minutes at 350 degrees F. I was expecting them to need extra time to bake as they were both still pretty frozen when they went in.

When the beeper went off and I checked them they seemed done, quite a surprise!

I did notice that they exhibited more surface cracking than usual loaves, likely as they rose briskly in a hot oven.

Checking with The-Grandma-who-knows-everything about frozen dough.... she said back in the day when you could buy frozen bread dough you just sat it out about 15 minutes before baking.

So there you go ... regular bread dough can be frozen and baked up as needed/wanted.

(I'm still trying to figure out why I'd want to heat the oven 3 times to bake 2 loaves at a time when I could bake 6 loaves in one go... guess who got her power bill yesterday .... KIDS!! we have to have a few words!)

No comments: