Sunday, September 14, 2008

Applesauce...


I missed getting transparent apples from my uncle's tree when they were ready as we were in the midst of the whole dd/exchange/VIP thing so I went in search of apples at our favourite fruit stand instead. Their cold storage kept these soft summer apples in pretty good shape considering how long they have been off the trees. The trick is to do them the day you get them home as they bruise easily and deteriorate quickly.

The children and I set up a production line along our long counter:


First step, cutting out the bites from codling moths:


Next is the amazing apple peeling, slicing, coring thingy machine:


The next child cut these into bits and put them into a bowl:


Mom's job, taking these apple bits and adding them to the pot and keeping it stirred:


We kept at it until the pot was filled, adding as needed. Once the applesauce is cooked down sugar is added (4 cups for 12-13 quarts of sauce) and cinnamon too ( 4 Tbsp. for the same):


The sauce is pushed through a sieve to remove any stray bits of peel, core and seeds before being canned for 20 minutes:


The results are a warm brown tasty treat. One box gave us 12 quarts and there are about 30 lbs. in the standard apple box. (Two boxes netted us a total of 23 quarts.)


And I never want to see applesauce again. It took forever to cook down and I've washed the floor in the kitchen 3 times today... it is still sticky. I'm pooped.

4 comments:

Rhonda Jean said...

LOL Oh dear, I hope the floor is clean again. It was great to see the children helping, it's a great skill for them to have.

You canning posts are great. Your produce looks healthy and the filled jars look delicious. Thanks for taking part in the kitchen table discussion.

Jan Hatchett said...

Sticky kitchen floors are the absolute worst! But, I think all of us canners have experienced that a few times! LOL

Jan

CM said...

Thanks Rhonda Jean and Jan!

I agree about having the children help developing a great skill. If they didn't help I wouldn't be able to make as much either.

I'm now getting to the stage of sending my babies out into the world, it will be interesting to see if they continue the canning and gardening they grew up with.

Curtain Cleaning Federal Way said...

Lovee this