Sunday, June 12, 2011

More Mushrooms!



Once in a while, maybe once a year, I find mushrooms in the discount bin at the grocery store. LOVE.

This year's haul:



Firstly ds and I filled the dehydrator with them, all six large trays of our Berron's.



Then all of the rest were pickled as per this recipe. Delicious, I could live on these!

This was the final result; nearly 2 full 2 quart jars of dried mushrooms and 11 one quart jars of pickled mushrooms. [of course this jar is already opened and sampled from]



I've already used the dried mushrooms in a recipe, minute steaks in an onion mushroom gravy. Quite yummy. I think in any recipe that calls for mushrooms that are going to be simmered in a liquid I can substitute these. Soups, chili, stews, this gravy....

8 comments:

Jaime said...

Yum!!

Anonymous said...

This is the year that I plan on dehydrating foods for food storage. Usually, I freeze and/or can my harvest, but this post is motivating me to get started with drying. I love the fact that you were able to find the mushrooms at a marked down price!

Brenda

CM said...

Jamie, should I bring pickled mushrooms to potluck?

Brenda, I'd suggest starting small and learning to work with dried food before switching in a big way. There is quite a difference with texture and taste. We've had great success with dried fruit and herbs. The veggies, not so much.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for the warning. I'll do lots of research and see how it goes. I've ordered a Salton 5 tray dehydrator and I can hardly wait to get started.

Lacey (schoolhousefarm) said...

that is SO smart! wish I liked mushrooms...

editorOrthodoxNorthwest said...

A great blog I really dig it. It plants seeds of inspiration to the gardener in all of us! Seriously I like the blog, I will link it on my site, perhaps it will inspire others.
Sadly my garden was neglected this year. Anthony

rahim said...

Mushroom is very good for health . I grow mushroom . It is my favorite vegetable. Thanks for sharing.
http://rimatrix5.dk/

Image Manipulation Service said...

Really it is marvels and perfect post... I am very enjoyed your post. Your article is great. Thanks for sharing your great post. Clipping Expert Asia provides the best high-quality image manipulation service at a global market place...